Effective healthcare leadership incorporates seven qualities: (1) the ability to lead through change, (2) maintain one’s integrity, (3) foster teamwork and create a learning environment, (4) drive and accept innovation, (5) track the numbers, (6) create what I call my 7 chairs, (7) dream with your dream team. Each of us needs to inspire and uplift our teams with a commitment to their professional growth and development.
Let’s discuss “my 7 chairs”.
My grandfather suggested creating a spirit panel because I was always asking him questions out of respect of his opinion. He said, “I won’t be able to answer all of your question to the fullest extent, I can only give you opinion and advice.” He told me that “with all the reading you do, take the characters spirit with you, create a spirit panel”. I now call this my 7 chairs. The individuals are from books that I’ve read over the years or influential people that I respect. Their ability to think differently and of course not how I would, can be inspirational.
My 7 Chairs are filled today by:
- Jack Welch-Management and Growth of Company (from his book Winning)
- Dagny Taggert-Aggressive, Decisive, Fearless in Pursuit (From Atlas Shrugged)
- Thomas Jefferson- Entrepreneur and Visionary (autobiography of Thomas Jefferson)
- Guy Shipler-Work Ethic, Exceptional Morals, Exceptional Values
- Steve Jobs- Precision, the Details, Quality in Everything
- Michael Gerber- Don’t be the mechanic. Delegate and move through it (from the E-Myth)
- Heidi Loewinsohn-Compassion, put passion at the center, open new doors